Savion Glover presents Sole Power June 21 - July 10 in NYC!


smpurp logo









Savion Glover
returns to The Joyce Theater with

SOLE POWER
An interactive work that explores the listener's journey


June 21 - July10, 2010
"The vignettes presented in Sole Power demand the audiences' participation by inviting members to transmit their own communication to the hoofer, thereby, becoming a partner to the dance. Sole Power inspires an intimate conversation between the sole and the soul."
                                                                                                                                  -Savion Glover



Savion speaks about Sole Power:

You have an insistence with communicating to the audience tap as sound in the past several years - can you expand on that idea?
SG: Tap, the dance, has always been about sound; a percussive instrument; music. I have never learned it to be anything else. I've been so blessed with this tradition from my teachers before me, and I'm simply trying to communicate this information clearly, with no room for misinterpretation.
So, if I'm an audience member, and I want to hear you perform these complicated rhythmic patterns or songs that I might identify with, what should I listen for?
SG: I want you to just listen; to whatever you hear. Tap is a way of communicating for me. It's all that I am. It's all that I've been and will be. It's a way of life. I'm very blessed. What I wish to communicate is simply joy. Gratitude. Praise. I hope I'm able to achieve this with each composition I create.
What do you think is the biggest misconception in the tap tradition?
SG: That it's a spectator sport, like basketball. And I love basketball (Mr. Glover laughs). But, I want the audience to listen. Take it in. I take in the audience every night. To hear the hooferz that have come before me.
Taken from an interview by Rennica Johnson for The Joyce. Click Here to read more.



Get your ticket to hear this brilliant new work today!



Savion Glover in Sole Power June 21, 2010 - July 10, 2010


Show times: Mon-Wed at 7:30PM, Th - Sat at 8:00PM and Sat at 2:00PM.


For tickets call JoyceCharge, 212-242- 0800 or purchase online now!
*Tickets start at $10!


The Joyce Theater is located at 175 Eighth Avenue at 19th Street. For more information visit www.joyce.org.





Press inquiries? Email: torya@thatgirl006.com




 *Savion Glover* Links


Savion Glover Productions
The Hooferz Club School for Dance


Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter





Comments

Popular Posts