This Wednesday - December 1, 2010 - is World AIDS Day





HIV does not discriminate. Its effects cross geographic, racial, and demographic borders. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the approximate US HIV prevalence is a little over 1.1 million people. The estimated South African HIV prevalence rate is approximately 5.7 million people.

December 1st is World AIDS Day, a day dedicated to education about AIDS and the impact the virus has on communities all over the world. This is the perfect time to support an organization or person who is doing something to make a difference.

This World AIDS Day, I will make a donation to Ubuntu Education Fund, an organization that provides over 4,000 orphaned and vulnerable children and their families with life-saving HIV support services and essential educational resources  in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

Please join me in making a donation to Ubuntu. Millions of text messages are sent all over the world everyday. What if those text messages could actually raise money for the fight against HIV?

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 at 12:00pm we will send text messages for change.

 How does it work?

Simply text UBUNTU to 20222.  You will receive a text confirming your $5.00 donation. Reply with YES and a one-time donation of $5.00 will be added to your mobile phone bill. Want to give more? Great! You can make donations via text up to five times per month so text away.

If you have already made a commitment to another organization, please remember to make a donation or offer to volunteer. Every little bit helps.

Together we can make a difference!


P.S. Is your cell phone bill bringing you to tears each month already? Don't worry, adding an extra $5.00 to it is not the only way to get involved. I am supporting Ubuntu's Crowdrise campaign by raising money online as well. Click Here to make a one time donation using your credit card, join my team or create your own!



 Torya (owner/creative director, thatgirl006, Inc.) is often referred to as a party girl, a shopaholic, music obsessed, a 'professional friend' and a typical (juggling way too many projects at once) Gemini. Despite the fact that in a random poll of friends and acquaintances, philanthropist wouldn't top the list, she sincerely believes that we can make the world a better place by simply treating each other with compassion and lending a helping hand now and then.

************************ 
In honor of World AIDS Day, a poem by Cornelius "Life" Jones 


IT’S A BLESSING

Could have been gone
When I went to the river on my own.
Could have been gone
But I’m still here.

Could have been gone
When that train came flying down the track.
Could have been gone
But I’m still here

Could have been gone
When we were hit by a truck full of steel.
Could have been gone
But I’m still here.

Could have been gone
If I decided to fight back.
Could have been gone
But I’m still here.

Could have been gone
When I fell asleep behind the wheel.
Could have been gone
But I’m still here.

Could have been gone
Had I chose to live in fear.
Not knowing my status,
Would I still be here?

Think about the tragic stories
You hear on the news.
Think of your life
And the roads you choose.

Think about the information
that can help us live.
Then about the people
who chose to live in fear.

Some may say, “It’s life
things just happen this way.”
But I’m here to tell you
I’TS A BLESSING than I’M STILL HERE
On this awesome and beautiful day.

©2005 Cornelius Jones Jr.
more from Cornelius at www.thefutureforward.net

Comments

Popular Posts